Tuesday 12 January 2010

Happy Monday!

It's Monday. And that means one thing and one thing only. NEW RELEASES. And today pulled a corker, namely with Vampire Weekend's Contra. I'm not gonna lie, it is delightful. Think traditional Vampire lyrics combined with delicate xylophonic poppy melodies and danceable beats on top of electric blooms. Their first single, Cousins, sets the bar but with tunes like Horchata, Run and California English, Contra definitely will not disappoint.

My favourite Surrey rockers released their sophomore album today. One word. Fan-effin-tastic. You Me At Six have hit back with bold, grit and attutide to boot with Hold Me Down. With all due respect, I for one am glad Josh Franceschi and his now-girlf-again broke up before recording got underway; a happy rock album would not have been bad but this anger and frustration at life fuelled offering is the genuine article. A slight RIOT! (Paramore) undertone, not imitation, but this is to no detriment to either band or album. My Heads A Prison And Nobody Visits, Playing The Blame Game and first single, Underdog are up there as my favourites in an excellent bunch of all killer no filler. I am rife with anticipation for the forthcoming tour...bring it on lads!

They're electronic. They're indie. They're full of on-the-surface sacharine. Think Foals but fluffier and you've got Delphic. Acolyte is an anthology of tracks just chomping at the bit to help you get your glad rags on and ready for the 'floor and yet all the while patiently waiting to soothe your hangover away the next day (cup of Quickie or Atack tea in 1 hand, BP bacon butty in the other, obvs). I am loving Red Lights and Halcyon for the former, title track Acolyte for the latter and This Momentary for both situations. Get your ears ready to have those January-I'm-SO-skint blues soothed away. Thank you Delphic!

These are my faves of the day. Please comment your favourite new releases below.
Happy Monday and have a fun Tuesday (I'm off for some fun in The Don until Thursday).

BBPD

1 comment:

  1. hey - version 2 i guess...

    Vampire weekend album is brilliant - is one of those albums i know i'll listen to everytime there's something good happening - like i'll take it skiing so it becomes the album of the trip etc..
    Have you heard the bonus track 'giant'? I didn't have it but acquired it and it's awesome too...

    YMA6 have really grown in their sound on this album - stand out tracks for me are 'stay with me' (my favourite, it's such a grower) and Contagious Chemistry - although nothing is quite 'always attract' just yet.....

    I'm writing up my top albums of 2009 at the moment, 30stm and the antlers are in there, in fact antlers may even be no.1 at the end of it...am pretty much obsessed by 'hospice'.

    I also have a music blog although it's not amazing - www.hefilmstheclouds.tumblr.com

    if you flick through it you will see what kinda music i like i guess...
    Jx

    ReplyDelete