Monday 29 March 2010

London Calling A Truce


Friday night was the closest I'll ever get to a date with Joe Strummer. Ever. And it was love.

It can't be an easy thing, to step into the shoes of one of Britain's best loved rock bands. A band so close to the hearts of many: from anarchists to adolescents. For me, this was the band of choice that my parents played to help me sleep when I was a nipper and, along with Alice Cooper, Human League and New Kids On The Block, made up our Gower/Cornwall holiday mix tapes.

Rebel Truce sounded like The Clash on any of their studio efforts. Which let's be honest is no mean feat. No mean feat at all. Covering the anthology of The Clash and picking out the winners meant we, the punktastic, rebellious mob full of piercings, tattooes and, err, spectacles were in for a treat. White Riot, London Calling and Rudie Can't Fail were nothing short of immaculate creating more than a buzz and a bop (not a Blitzkreig Bop...that's The Ramones, obvs). With outifts, hair and attitude right on the money it really doesn't take a genius to see just why they are the quintessential The Clash tribute act.


Finishing up with Should I Stay or Should I Go for sure made it tough to leave the grungey, dingey but oh so cosy Cardiff Barfly.

BBPD.

No comments:

Post a Comment